"Love! Do you know the meaning of the word?" 'How should I not?' said the Lady, 'I am in love...in Love Himself.'
~C.S. Lewis
The Great Divorce

Monday, December 14, 2009

Blog Name

My first blog on this site was about my URL, enchantingrelish. It can be seen here. http://enchantingrelish.blogspot.com/2008/12/my-first-blog.html

But I also wanted to take a moment to explain the name of my humble blog, "Power of Paradox". It actually is a phrase I have lifted from a song by Michael Card called God's Own Fool. It has the following lines:

So surrender the hunger to say you must know.
Have the courage to say I believe.
For the power of paradox opens your eyes,
And blinds those who say they can see.

There are certain things that I and other Christians can see and understand which seem like utter foolishness to unbelievers. Many thought Jesus Christ himself was mad. Why should they think any more of his followers? Without denying that there are mysteries (The Most Holy Trinity, the Eucharist) I wish I understood, their is a liberation in saying I simply believe them. Without denying the place and authority of Reason, we can affirm doctrines which seem unreasonable to those whose eyes have not been opened by belief. Or said more simply, Seeing is not Believing; Believing is Seeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment